It’s my second time doing the Beautiful People tag, hosted by Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further up & Further In!. This month’s questions are all about the appearances of characters. This particular post will be featuring Lily, a young orphan surviving on the streets of NYC in the early 20th century. Enjoy!
1. Give a brief overview of their looks. (Include a photo if you want!)
Lily’s 12, so she still has a younger-looking face, but it’s skinny from near-starvation. This accentuates her big, blue eyes however. She also has curly red hair, a little bit past her shoulders.
2. Share a snippet that involves description of their appearance.
“Lily was twelve, but lack of food had stunted her growth, leaving her at four feet five. Her face was thin, her chin sharply angled, and the skin on her cheeks hollowed and tight. The skinniness of her face emphasized her eyes, making them look large and round. She had pale skin, dotted with light freckles on her cheeks and arms. Unkempt red-orange curls fell to just above the middle of her back.”
3. What is the first thing people might notice about them?
Her eyes are pretty striking, and she has an intense gaze, so it would probably be that.
4. What are their unique features? (Ex: freckles, big ears, birthmark, scars, etc.)
Hair and eyes again…. Although she does have freckles, too.
5. How tall are they? What is their build (Ex: stocky, slender, petite, etc.)
Lily is 4 feet, 5 inches, small, and skinny. “Wiry” might be an appropriate word.
6. What is their posture like? How do they usually carry themselves?
This depends a lot on the situation, since surviving on the streets involves a lot of reading situations and acting accordingly. Sometimes she’s meek and submissive, with shoulders stooped, and other times she stands straight, defiantly. When she’s alone, however, she’s very thoughtful and observant, mostly relaxed, but ready to tense in an instant.
7. Your character has been seen on a “lazy day” (free from usual routine/expectations): what are they wearing and how do they look?
If Lily had such a day, she’d be wearing sweatpants and a T-shirt (except for the fact that those weren’t around in 1918…). In reality, she’d be wearing a loose, dirty dress, and she’d be rather unkempt, as usual.
8. Do they wear glasses, accessories, or jewelry on a regular basis? Do they have any article of clothing or accessory that could be considered their trademark?
No, Lily doesn’t wear glasses, accessories, or jewelry, and even if she had the opportunity to, I doubt that she would.
9. Have they ever been bullied or shamed because of their looks? Explain!
Oh, yes. Many times. Lily is quite accustomed to being called orphan, beggar, brat, useless, etc. …Although that doesn’t make it any less painful.
10. Are they happy with how they look? If they could change anything about their appearance, what would it be?
Lily doesn’t have much time to think about her appearances, but if she was able to, I think she would be mostly pleased with herself after she got cleaned up a bit. If she could change one thing, it would probably be her stature and build. The practical instinct in her would want to have more of an imposing figure. Being small and appearing weak is dangerous.
Hope you all enjoyed!